Job title DACH Regional Sales Manager – Germany - Switzerland - Austria
Responsible to Sales Director
Benefits Performance related bonus up to 15% gross salary, Company Vehicle, Retirement provision
Hours 40 hours per week
Holidays 25 days per annum, plus statutory holidays
About the Company
Brompton holds a vision of transforming how people live and get around in cities. The Brompton is made for cities and made for you. It was conceived as a product that increases people’s sense of independence and freedom, and this concept is still at the heart of everything we do. The Brompton is acknowledged worldwide as the finest bike of its type and this excellence, combined with resurgence in cycling for transport, means we are enjoying strong company growth. If we are to continue to thrive, we need to recruit great people who can further drive sales.
We are proud of our bikes and enjoy using them. We export 80% of our production to 50 countries around the globe and intend to produce over 60,000 bikes this year but believe that we’re just getting started. Brompton Bicycle manufactures in its factory in West London a bike that is generally considered the best portable bike there is. The company is privately-owned, successful and profitable, and we have good relationships with our distributors and users. If you have huge enthusiasm, thrive on being given responsibility and are excited about the opportunity to sell market leading products that make a difference to people’s lives, we can offer you a job you will not find anywhere else.
Employed by Brompton GERMANY (a newly established subsidiary), this is an exciting and challenging senior sales role in a region where considerable growth is expected and required, and is a strategic focus for current and future investment – including Brompton Electric and other exciting pipeline innovation (hard and soft goods); the development of our ambitious omni-channel distribution strategy, including the growth of our flagship Brompton Junction stores and ecommerce platform.
This new role covers DACH region, where Brompton is in the process of centralising distribution from its longstanding existing Exclusive Distributors. Transition of these markets shall be complete by October 2020, when Brompton shall then operate directly with its Dealer retail network (+300 stores) and leaving you responsible for +€6m worth of trade.
Reporting directly into the Sales Director, and working closely with other department heads based in London, the role carries a significant degree of autonomy and responsibility.
Immediately you will shadow the exiting distribution partners throughout the remaining transition period, to thoroughly develop market knowledge and build relations with key trade accounts, safeguarding a smooth transition. During this time, you shall be influential in shaping and readying Brompton’s in-region launch strategy, with particular focus on Germany (a successful, growing and leading Brompton export market), whilst curating your mid-long-term go-to-market strategy. Equally, you will build your immediate team of Account Managers (x2 new roles) for which you have full line management responsibility.
Whilst operational in market, you shall quickly become (though remotely) part of an extended energetic, matrix structured, commercial team based in London HQ; including dedicated Internal Sales Support, Marketing and Customer Service, which you will need to indirectly manage and effectively leverage to succeed.
Your principal remit shall be to significantly develop sales channels and product sales across the region, concentrating on quickly building Brompton Electric distribution. Without traditional selling tools such as volume/bundle discounts or rebates to hand, you shall exploit current sales opportunities - whilst developing and leveraging the strength of the Brompton brand - to cultivate existing and new partnerships, to unlock increased brand presence and sales.
Already sympathetic to Brompton Brand values, you will quickly grasp you are selling lifestyles, not just a bike. One of your greatest challenges will be navigating through a developing omni-channel distribution structure, including flagship stores, ecommerce and national retailers.
The role requires a commercial, entrepreneurial self-assured personality that is results focused, organised, selfmotivated and resourceful. You will work effectively and efficiently remotely and are ideally based in Cologne area to enable you to cover the major German cities and those in Switzerland and Austria. You are prepared to travel up to three to four days per week visiting trade partners across the region.
Brompton requires a minimum eight years’ proven sales management experience, preferably within the bicycle or personal mobility industry (though will consider unrelated premium lifestyle brand background), that has a clear understanding of the market developments, strategic competition, suppliers and retailers within. Ideally you have omni-channel distribution experience – managing the complexity of independent retailers, national retailers, flagship stores and ecommerce simultaneously, and have talent to confront the rapidly changing marketplace and identify correct routes to sustainable long-term success.
Additionally, you will personable and resourceful, and have demonstrated your capability to build and effectively manage a high performing team.
Measures of Success
• Top-line revenue performance versus budget
• Brompton Electric distribution strength and volume
• Quality of trade relationships - reflected in customer feedback, stakeholder feedback
• Number and quality of retail doors
• National account penetration
• Team performance and development reflected in commercial performance and feedback
• Shadowing exiting distributors until termination reached to extort all market and business insight/ knowledge
• Building relationships with key contacts and customers, to gain clear understanding of their businesses, requirements and objectives, to ensure sales metrics are met and expectations exceeded
• Readying and supporting Dealers for Brompton Electric launch
• Identifying new routes to market including Brompton Junction, Click & Collect, and B2C
• Influencing product management, merchandising, pricing and promotional strategies
• To identify, target, liaise and visit core prospective customers (inclusive of corporate businesses), to open dealerships, negotiate agreements and close sales
• Identifying and resolving customer concerns
• Creating suitable strategies for dealing with obstacles, customer objections and competitor situations
• To deliver a programme of product sales training and support through Brompton Academy (on-line training tool)
• To co-ordinate, deliver and monitor the in-market Brompton Dealer Accreditation programme
• To identify opportunities that require additional support and resource
• Be the face of Brompton across the DACH region, representing the company at trade exhibitions, trade/ consumer/ corporate events, demonstrations and seminars
• Preparing presentations, proposals and sales contracts
• Overall P&L accountability and monthly reporting
• Development and delivery of sales and marketing strategic plan to grow sales by 100% within 3 years
• Building structure, recruiting and managing your team of high performing Account Managers, providing coverage to the entire DACH region
• Building and managing DACHs’ regional budget
• Rolling 12 month forecasting and sales planning
• Building, managing and delivering against Key Account Plans
• Delivering on your monthly sales targets and KPIs
• Delivering your weekly & monthly management sales/ market report
• Strengthen and broaden the dealer network
• Acceleration of e-commerce platform as a critical sales channel
• Launch of new products
• Management of indirect reports – (London based) Internal Account Managers; DACH Marketing Manager (to be recruited, London or German location TBC)
• Feeding information to colleagues in Marketing, Design and Purchasing to develop future strategy
• Gathering market, competitor and customer data whilst executing product and marketing strategy
• Management of day-to-day sales
• Fluent in English and German languages (French or Italian would be a plus)
• Degree level education – Business/ Marketing
• Minimum 8 years commercial experience with at least 3 years’ senior sales experience, and minimum responsibility for delivering +€3m annual revenue
• Experienced at managing and growing national retailer partnerships; launching and building ecommerce sales – both direct and via marketplaces; managing and developing flagship stores
• Strong commercial acumen and numeracy
• Able to construct, manage and interpret P&L and Balance Sheet
• Excel/Power BI skills – ability to build reports, pivot tables, interpret data
• Proven experience of building and managing a team
• Excellent communication skills – including across cultures
• Entrepreneurial mindset
• Market aware and commercially focussed
• Consultative sales approach
• The role will require significant travel to current and potential clients, a valid passport and driving licence are essential
• An understanding of Brompton’s ethos and how this has shaped its brand values
The Brompton Environment
Brompton offers you a very pleasant working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who get along very well. The working climate is informal, but we work hard. Next to good terms of employment Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international and ambitious environment. We are all proud to be part of Brompton Bicycle; we all share the same passion and dedication to the company despite any differences in cultural backgrounds and skills.
Whether you’re early in your career or an experienced professional, Brompton provides you with everything you need to excel in your job and encourages personal growth.
How to Apply: If you feel you fit within the Brompton team spirit and you can bring talent, innovation and enthusiasm to our workforce then please email your CV and covering letter in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The company reserves the right to vary or amend the duties and responsibilities of the post holder at any time according to the needs of the company’s business. The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalise peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
If you feel that you fit within the Brompton team spirit and you can bring talent, innovation and enthusiasm to our workforce then please email your CV and covering letter to the HR team, at email@example.com– You are encouraged to submit when ready.